To disable the use of the headset:
- From Main Menu choose Multiplayer
- Choose Online Game
- After it finishes connecting, the online game screen should come up. Choose Player Profile
- Choose Player Options
- Set the Voice Chat option to OFF.
- Press the X button on the controller to accept the changes.
- In the audio settings screen, set the Microphone Level to OFF and the Input Device to Do Not Use
- select OK and then press X on the controller to confirm the changes.
Once voice chat has been disabled, you should notice a significant drop in lag and disconnections.